Light, creamy and full of delicious coconut flavour, a wonderfully exotic dish.
|Prep time||40 minutes (including soaking)|
|Cooking Time||45 minutes|
Ingredients inboldavailable at The Spice Emporium
- 1 cups Lal Qilla ExcelIndian Basmati rice
- 1 tbsp urad dhall (split black lentils)
- 2 tbsp polished moong dhall(split yellow gram)
- 6 whole dry red chillies
- 5 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp peanuts, semi-crushed
- 300 ml Liberty coconut milk mixed with 200ml water
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- cup Spice Emporium medium desiccated coconut, lightly toasted, to garnish
- Thoroughly rinse rice and soak for 30 minutes in lukewarm water then drain and set aside.
- In a pot, heat oil and add the urad and moong dhal and cookfor 2 minutes.
- Add curry leaves, peanuts and red chillies and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cup water and cook on medium heat until water evaporates and urad and moong dhal are par-cooked.
- Add in the rice and saut for2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk mixture and salt and cook on medium heat until the rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Switch off stove and cover with a lid.
- After 10-15 minutes, fluff rice with a fork, garnish with toasted coconut and serve hot.