Bird watching, the latest addition to the Durban Green Corridor ecotourism quiver gives tourists just that, an astonishing birding experience right here along the uMngeni River Valley in Durban. Our main bird watching service in Durban is the Finfoot Loop, a self-drive loop (with an experienced local nature guide) that takes birders along the uMngeni River, from the shores of the Indian Ocean, deep into the rural river gorges and cliffs of the eNanda Dam.
As the loop’s name implies, this is one of the best spots around KwaZulu-Natal to be searching for the rare and elusive African Finfoot. This enigmatic species is highly sought after by birders to add to their “life lists” due to its fussy habitat requirements and highly secretive habits.
The Finfoot Loop can take anything from a few hours to a full day, depending on your birding enthusiasm. For enthusiastic birders looking for the full experience and wanting to spend time searching for unusual species such as African Finfoot, we recommend at least a half day (6 hour) experience.
- Duration: 3 hours
- When: All year round
- Where: Starts at Green Hub,Blue Lagoon and ends at eNanda Adventures, Inanda Dam
- Weather: Not recommended in rainy weather
- What to Wear: Comfortable Clothes and Shoes
- Things to Bring: Snacks and Drinks Sunscreen Binoculars Cameras Hats/Caps
- Guests or Spectators: Guests can enjoy picnicking while bird watchers venture out.
- Fitness Level: No Fitness Requirement
- Qualifications: Not Applicable
- Certification: None Required
- Experience Level: No Experience Requirement
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Inclusions: Nature Guide
- Exclusions: Food and Beverages
R800 per person