While regularly eaten with roti and rice, it’s delectable flavours are best mopped up with fresh white bread.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients in bold available at The Spice Emporium.
- ½ – ¾ tbs seedless tamarind (for fresh fish increase to 2-3 tbs)
- ¾ cup water, divided
- 4 tbs oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 7-8 fresh curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3 tbs Spice Emporium Wet Seafood Masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 large tomatoes, pureed or grated
- ± 410g soya fish/ fresh fish, sliced
Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, soak tamarind in ¼ cup water for 5 minutes.
Mix well to create a paste and set aside.
- On heat oil on medium heat, in a flat bottom pot.
- Add onions and saute until transparent.
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek, curry leaves, crushed garlic, Spice Emporium Wet Seafood Masala, turmeric powder and grated tomatoes.
- Lower heat and stir mixture for ± 2 minutes.
- Place soya/fish side by side into tomato mixture and gently cover with tomato sauce.
- Add salt, tamarind paste and ½ cup water. Stir gently into curry.
- Cover pot and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with toasted bread or basmati rice.
- If the curry dries out while the potatoes are cooking, simply add more water.
- If you like you curry with less chilli, try using Spice Emporium Medium Curry Powder instead.