SHEroes are always on the run, but with this recipe you won’t be running out of time.
Chicken breast fillet is an obvious choice of lean protein, but let’s be honest, it can be a bit boring and dry. This easy-peasy recipe is a tasty way to pack in that protein, and the peppers will give your family a winter boost of Vitamin C!
This delicious recipe was supplied by SPAR KZN, title sponsor of the SPAR Womens Race 2017. Watch out, 11 June!
Every woman has a unique story to tell about their own inner beauty, strength and determination. In short, every woman is a Superhero in their own way, says Max Oliva, Managing Director of SPAR KZN. We look forward to welcoming these wonderful SHEroes to this years race where they can showcase their determination and collective energy in one of the most talked about, and certainly the most beautiful, running and walking events in town.
Consuming something that’s easy to digest and provides energy and protein, at least an hour before an event, can give you the stamina you need.
Recipe: Turbo-charged Tropical Chicken Kebabs
- 50g SPAR Brown Sugar (or use Xylitol)
- 50g SPAR Vinegar
- 150g SPAR Tomato Sauce
- 1 x 440g tin SPAR Pineapple Pieces in syrup, drained but reserve 125 ml syrup
- 400g SPAR Chicken Breast
- 1 SPAR Freshline Green Pepper
- 1 SPAR Freshline Red Pepper
- Place the sugar, vinegar, tomato sauce and 125 ml of drained pineapple syrup in a pan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Cut the chicken into cubes. Cut the green and red pepper into 2 cm squares.
- Thread the chicken, green and red pepper and pineapple pieces onto skewers. Pour the prepared sauce over the chicken.
- Cook under a hot grill for 8 10 minutes. Turn the kebabs often and brush with extra sauce during cooking.
- You can also cook these kebabs on a braai.
Soak your wooden skewers in water before you use them. This stops them burning while cooking.
Serve with a small portion of brown rice and a mixed salad. Carbs like rice help to replenish glycogen levels in your muscles after training